Think fast. Hit it now! Typically when we think of reflex skills, we imagine having a quick response to a stimulus. In an instant a situation goes from one state to another. How quickly one responds to the changed situation determines how fast his/her reflexes are. Like the previously explained facets of skill, there's a lot more to reflex than automatic, knee jerk, fast responses.
Dictionary.com provides the following definition:
re·flex [adj., n. ree-fleks; v. ri-fleks]
6.Physiology.a. Also called reflex act . movement caused by a reflex response.
b. Also called reflex action. the entire physiological process activating such movement.
7. any automatic, unthinking, often habitual behavior response.
8. the reflection or image of an object, as exhibited by a mirroror the like.
- Simple. A measure of one's basic reflex ability. The test typically gives a visual (or audio) stimulus in a known location to which the user must respond to quickly with a single input.
- Recognition. Such tests feature a 'memory' and 'distractor' set of stimuli. There's still only one response the user is responsible for, but now he/she must distinguish if the presented stimulus is the right or wrong one to react to.
- Choice. This test features multiple stimuli with multiple matching responses.
- Visual/Auditory/Tactile. According to scientific research, our auditory reaction times are the fastest followed by touch and then visual. The three above facets of reflex skills should be the average of these three types. Because visual reflex is the most complex of the three, we can break down visual reflex skills into even more facets. Inspired by Flash Focus we have...
- Peripheral Vision. The ability to spot objects in the area outside central vision.
- Dynamic Visual Acuity. The ability to clearly track moving objects.
- Momentary Vision. The ability to instantly identify objects that come into your vision.
- Eye Movement. The ability to rapidly switch focus between targets.
In the next part, I'll discuss how I use my reflex skills in everyday life in addition to high level Brawl teams matches.